Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Babies are... exhausting!

Our sweet Mr. Reed has decided over the past week and a half that he wasn't going to sleep much (or at all) during the day.  Since Thursday, October 6th, Reed has done nothing during the day except eat, eat, eat, eat take a random cat nap (20min or less), and then eat, eat, eat, eat again.  It has been exhausting for me...and I feel like I've tried everything to get him to sleep! Walking around, holding him upright, bouncing, music, singing, etc nothing worked! I tried to occupy him with stroller rides, tummy time, music, talking with him, trying to nap with him and STILL no luck!  At one point late yesterday afternoon, I'd had enough.  I was physically exhausted from a long night and the day of feeding Reed for what seemed like six hrs straight.   I put Reed in his little lounger seat, hoping that he would doze. No luck with the sleeping, BUT, he did turn to me and stared straight at me (sitting 5 feet away) for a solid 10 minutes.  It was almost like his eyes were saying "Ummm, Mom.....why aren't you feeding me right now???"  I just sat back and laughed at the little dude! 

After talking with my mom and a few friends, I received a few new ideas for what I was calling "Operation: Get Reed to Sleep."  I just needed to decide which strategy to try first.  Now that Reed is finally over 7lbs, we are able to use the Baby Bjorn...so, that jumped to the top of my list of things to try.

Today, I am so happy to announce that Reed slept for a straight 1hr 30 min!!!  Even though, I "technically" didn't put him down, he was content to sleep while suspended in the Baby Bjorn.  WOOOHOO!!!  I was so excited to have a little "free" time!  After he fell asleep, Reed and I quickly scrambled into the kitchen and I started a baking frenzy!  I made a Blackberry Cobbler AND Chocolate Chip Cookies all while Reed slept contentedly next to my chest!  Talk about WELL-overdo therapy for me!

After the baking party was over, I fed Reed and he promptly feel back asleep in his little lounging chair.  Here is a picture of the little guy FINALLY taking a nap! 


Today, was pure BLISS! 

Happy Napping!

-Sarah and Reed

2 comments:

Kayla CICHOS said...

I remember having a mini meltdown when Lauren was just a couple weeks old and your Mom was so great and had some good suggestions to help me out. So, I would say.... Take her advice. I remember being so surprised that I can handle a classroom of young children at work and this ONE little baby was winning at home with me! Hang in there sleep and structure will come! He is adorable!

Sdleibold said...

Oh Sarah, I remember those non-stop crying days with my little Kelly Sue. I would put her in her car seat and go for drives in the car and she would fall asleep. Each time I would stop the car she would wake up and start to cry again. My mom would come over and pick us up and drive us around town so I could try to sleep also. I did get a bouncy seat with a vibrations switch to put her in but she didn't like it as much as the car. Don't worry, little Reed will get over this soon. Congratualtions by the way. I bet he is adorable! :)

((( HUG )))

~ Miss Samantha